Thursday 11 April 2013

Steven and Henry – What Lincoln Means To Us


We at Brit Breaks have been pleased to feature Lincoln and Lincolnshire on a number of occasions in our news and travel blogs, and make no apology for reprinting a delightful article that has come our way recently via the local Lincoln press that was printed in the Lincolnshire Echo and This Is Lincolnshire website. It takes the form of a couple of informal interviews with photographer Steven Haddock, and student Henry Naughton about Lincoln and what it means to them.

They obviously speak with affection of the city, yet you come away with the impression that they saying things because they mean them, rather than presenting a stilted promotion of the city. Take a peek and see what you think.

Steven Haddock, is a 26-year-old professional photographer and lives in Lindum Hill, Lincoln.

What brings you to Lincoln? I came to Lincoln through higher education and grew fond of her charms. Now I'm lucky enough to be in a position to live and work here.

Describe Lincoln in three words? Historic, independent and quaint.

Aside from the cathedral, where is your favourite tourist spot in the city? My favourite tourist spot is currently The Collection, due to the area that it is in and the mixture of exhibits. I also quite like Lincoln Art Works. And The Angel because their brews are to die for.

If there was one thing you could change about the city, what would it be? More support towards the growth of industry and work within the city. A lot of talented people are coming through the city to study at the college and university but there isn't any work for them. Neither is support there for their business start-ups and they are forced to leave. But I guess this is happening everywhere as a result of the current climate. It's just a shame.

Tell us what you think is Lincoln's best kept secret? I photographed a wedding at The Bishop's Palace. At the back of the venue is a garden which overlooks a vineyard and the whole of Lincoln. Spin 180 degrees, look back at the venue you will have the cathedral looming back over you. It gives you a great feeling of being smack in the middle of Lincoln.

What's your ideal night out in the city? Start off at Ribs N Bibs for some smoked pork, then off to the Strait and Narrow and maybe tackle a club afterwards. The Strait and Narrow has become my go-to bar of choice, though.

How would you change Lincoln in the next ten years? I'd like to see it better connected with other cities, whether it be by train or even road network. I think we're out on a bit of a limb and miss out on opportunities like trading and jobs because of it. On the High Street we don't offer a lot more than any other UK town, so it would be great as well to see more backing for independently-owned stores rather than seeing them boarded up. I also want to see more live music at the Engine Shed.

If you could give £20,000 to any city of charity project, which would you choose and why? I currently donate to St Barnabas Hospice due to personal experiences they have provided – and Lindsey Lodge Hospice over in Scunthorpe. I'd probably donate a larger sum to support workers caring for people and families affected by cancer, if I could.

How can we best encourage Lincoln's many different communities to get along better? Lincoln actually does a lot to cater for many cultures, considering the size of the city. It would be great to advertise a little better though. I don't think the right people always find out about events going on. I've often hear people say: "Oh, I didn't realise that was on, if I'd known I'd have been there." But then again, like other cities there are legal poster boards and places for people to flyer legally which, could be great if we are going to embrace Lincoln as a growing city.
Lincoln Cathedral

Henry Naughton, 22, is a drama student from Welton.

What brings you to Lincoln? I moved to Lincoln when I was 11 for my dad's work and went to William Farr School.

Describe Lincoln in three words? Quaint, friendly and pleasant.

Asides from the cathedral, where is your favourite tourist spot in the city? The Bishop's Palace. I've worked there a lot and its a bit of a hidden gem. There is a lot of history in the building and it is the best spot in Lincoln for weddings because of the incredible views.

If there was one thing you could change about the city, what would it be? I'd put a greater emphasis on the arts. Lincoln has so much potential with the Drill Hall and the LPAC, but they aren't being maximised to their greatest potential. It would be better for tourism, too.

Tell us what you think is Lincoln's best kept secret? I think the best kept secrets are just outside of the city centre, like the picturesque villages that still make up Lincoln. We have a lot hidden gems.

What's your ideal night out in the city? Ideally, if there's some kind of theatre or performance going on at the LPAC, I would go there. Then on to bars like the Strait and Narrow or Kind, and maybe a club night at the Engine Shed depending on what night it is.

How would you change Lincoln in the next ten years? I'd want to extend and improve Lincoln's train station, so that it goes to more locations in the country and make transport easier. Also, I'd like to see more development and investment in the university because it has a lot going for it.

Do you watch or follow any of Lincoln's sports teams? I follow Lincoln Wellington Athletics Club, but none of the others. I've been a member for 12 years and really like to run, and the facilities are getting better. Especially since the new track was laid in 2011.

If you could give £20,000 to any city or charity project, which would you choose and why? I would give it to one of the charities in Lincoln which helps the city's homeless. I'm not sure which one but I feel that they need it the most.

How can we best encourage Lincoln's many different communities to get along better? I think if there were more social clubs and activities for people of all ages, with good facilities that people would enjoy going to. Maybe tokens to get drinks and snacks could be offered as well to encourage people to use them.

They say that there is no better way to get to know a city than by speaking to the locals, and so it proves in this pleasing little set of interviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment